기본 콘텐츠로 건너뛰기

Weekly Devotion: Pslams 130; Proverbs 6
















Hope in the LORD's Forgiving Love (Psalms 130.)

"Out of the depths I have cried to You, O LORD. Lord, hear my voice! Let Your eats be attentive To the voice of my supplications. If You, LORD, should mark iniquities, O LORD, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, That You may be feared. I wait for the LORD, my soul does wait, And in His word do I hope. My soul waits for the LORD More than the watchman for the morning; Indeed, more than the watchman for the morning. O Israel, hope in the LORD; For with the LORD there is lovingkindness, And with Him is abundant redemption. And He will redeem Israel From all his iniquities."

This chapter reminded me some quotes from Go Set a Watchman:

"Blind, that's what I am. I never opened my eyes. I never thought to look into people's hearts, I looked only in their faces. Stone blind... Mr. Stone. Mr. Stone set a watchman in church yesterday. He should have provided me with one. I need a watchman to lead me around and declare what he seeth every hour on the hour. I need a watchman to tell me this is what a many says but this is what he means, to draw a line down the middle and say here is this justice and there is that justice and make me understand the difference."

"Every man's island, Jean Louise, everyman's watchman, is his conscience."

Watchman is the term to used describe a man whose's job is to watch and guard property when the owners are away.

I think watchman helps us to discern what is right and wrong; teaching us the morality. It is not only about discerning what is right and wrong but also living with goodness and correct/proper intention. It looks out for our conduct or character to see whether it is morally good or blameworthy.

Conscience gives us a sense to believe something beyond; something we do not see (we obviously do not see conscience but we certainty do have a sense of morality). It helps to focus internal values of building our characters rather than external values. When we are focused on external values, we only view the world the way that we look by our eyes, which is definitely not everything. If we truly want to understand something or someone the best at we could, we need to be able to beyond their faces or looks. In order to do this, we need to know who we are first internally and focus on our internal values.

We have to question everyday, "who I am," "what is my weakness," "what I can do better," "what do I feel bad right now." -> self-examination -> actions to overcome -> character!!! (life long journey as human)

The external world view is often times not true but false. We love to show ourselves that we are doing good and perfect so that we can hide our feelings and weakness (we always like to be respected; loved; considered perfect; not feel lonely; fearless; joyful; happy). What I want to remind ourselves is that this is selfish. The reason is that it does not put others in much consideration. When we show-off ourselves that we are perfect and have no problem, there are people who'll be discouraged by the false image (I have a huge empathy toward who are weak b/c I am weak.) We need to live as a human who is imperfect and makes mistakes not like a monster that scares others.

When we start to release our vulnerability and share it with others (according to right time and right person), I believe that the world will be beautiful! And I am sure more people are able to grab more internal values of true happiness and joy.

I wish I could armor myself with those internal values, but it has not happened yet because I have not acted to make this happen (also, I'm 20s; I expected to armor those values when I was 40~50s or something.) I am still constrained by external values (which I still wish that so that I could live with my heavenly father's grace, forgiveness, and love; I want to walk slowly with him to the end) and live with temptation; however, I realized that knowledge without action is useless (it is like hidden treasure that will be never used). 

Parental Counsel (Proverbs 6)

"If you have been snared with the word of your mouth, have been caught with the words of your mouth, DO this then, my son, and deliver yourself; Since you have come into the hand of your neighbor, Go, humble yourself, and importune your neighbor."

- 말해서 지키지 못할것은 말하지 말며; 말은 무겁게 쓰며 (생각중심으로); 남의 보증을 서지말며; 만약, 실수를 헀을경우에는, 겸손마음으로 찾아가 (importune -> 졸르다) 라고 하고있다.
- If you can't keep what you said, do not say; use your mouth wisely (discernment) - keep your mouth shut and use it heavily; do not give pledge for a stranger or even friends (your possessions can disappear is one day.)

"Give no sleep to your eyes, Nor slumber to your eyelids; Deliver yourself like a gazelle from the hunter's hand And like a bird from the hand of the fowler."
"Go to the ant, O sluggard, Observe her ways and be wise, Which, having no chief, Office or ruler, Prepares her food in the summer And gathers her provision in the harvest.

- Sleep=poverty; gazelle = swift from the people who try to hunt you down (negatively affect you; no concern of your welfare)
- Ant = prepares! diligent! patient! -> provision; calamity will not come *unless...

"There are six things which the LORD hates, Yes, seven which are an abomination to Him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that run rapidly evil, And one who spreads strife among brothers."

- haughty eyes = 거만한, 오만한; having or showing the insulting attitude of people who think that they are better, smarter, or more important than other people (Often times, people mistake confidence from being haughty); a lying tongue, hands (hands that harm innocents -> criminals? -> harassment); a heart (self-interested; no concern for others -> but they'll eventually be judged), one spreads strife (tho worst one!!! GOSSIPS)

"When you walk about, they will guide you; When you sleep, they will watch over you; And when you awake, they will talk to you."

"For the commandment is a lamp and the teaching is light; And reproofs for discipline are the way of life To keep you from the evil woman, From the smooth tongue of the adulteress"

- Commandment is to keep ourselves from the evil women? The weight of adultery and evil women is pretty heavy proverbs (wise words). I wonder if this is just cultural or tradition. I think it is still applicable today.



댓글

이 블로그의 인기 게시물

life in April

(reading Bible) FINALLY finished reading Psalm for the first time in my life!!! (Hyper Life Drifter) finished first boss hahaha (Just Mercy) read first chapter / half way in 2nd chapter (Jesus Calling) Daily devotion book (on April 10st!) (The 5 Love Languages) I'm not married but interested on third chapter (Aquarium Documentary in Korea) So cooollll (newspaper) read JungAngIlBo / WallStreetJournal found few newspaper interesting this week. Disappointed with this week's opinion and column :( (homework / group project) asdjkljklfasjdkqqwegzd (walking - this photo has nothing to do with me) more than 4 hours in snowy and cold Michigan self torture (Jang Bum June 2nd Album) Interesting artist. Do not like all of his songs, but some of them are really nice (kakaotalk) celebrating Dad's birthday sorry dad, I'll remember next time (kakaotalk) my kanka(brother in Turkish

Weekly Devotion: 1 King3: 6~12

Solomon's Prayer Then Solomon said, "You have shown great loving kindness to Your servant David my father, according as he walked before You in truth and righteousness and uprightness of heart toward You; and You have reserved for him this great lovingkindness, that You have given him a son to sit on his throne, as it is this day. Now, O LORD my God, You have made Your servant king in place of my father David, yet I am but a little child; I do not know how to go out or come in. Your servant is in the midst of Your people which You have chosen, a great people who are too many to be numbered or counted. So give Your servant an understanding heart to judge Your people to discern between good and evil. For who is able to judge this great people of Yours?" It was pleasing in the sight of the LORD that Solomon had asked this things. God said to him, "Because you have asked this thing and have not asked for yourself long life, nor have asked riches for yourself, nor h

Korean Idioms Questions

1)  This old idiom is used when someone acts in the way that makes the situation even worse. 나쁜 일이 있는데 또 나쁜 일이 겹쳐서 아주 지리리 불운한 상황을 뜻합니다. What is this idiom in both Korean and English? Hint: It originated from the fables of Phaedrus in the first century. He gives a story about how a bald man  who tries to swat a fly but instead hits his head. The fly laughs at him and says, “You wished to kill me for a  touch, what will you do to yourself since you have added insult to injury?” Answer: 설상가상 (Sul-sang-ga-sang); Add insult to injury. 2)  What is the idiom that describes something that intensifies what is good to even better! (Answer either in  Korean or English). It is divided to both positive and negative meaning, which it could be something that makes  what is good to even better or what is bad to even worse. 가장 중요한 부분을 마지막 순간에 무언가를 더하여서 더 이상 건드릴 것이 없는 화려한 걸작이나 가치를 만든다는 뜻으로, 이 고사성어(사자성어)는 무엇일까요? Hint:  원피스 캐릭터 상디가 제브라(CP9)과의 싸움에서 디아블 잠브와 동시에